Friday, July 03, 2009

heyp.

I believe you guys (refering to the SABD-ians) are now munching food and stuff happily in the Apartment now, honestly I'm very jealous of you guys but on the other side my family's here, so you all should be happy for me too.

Well today's DATUM was not as good as last year I believe, Winy Maas was last year's Bjarke for the day, although last year Kengo Kuma was the first day final speaker, but he's kinda boring compared to Bjarke. Well the first four speaker, one with the awesome Malaysian Architecture which I don't find interesting, two talking to themselves, one talking with too many punctuations, and we have Winy Maas talking about pigs and flood and what not.

But it was the final conclusion and Q&A session that really taught me something for today.Of how politics influence social influence architecture influence politics. It's a neverending cycle either from thisway around or another. Then again, talking about the optimism we have ( or we should have) , as a designer, in creating something new or better, has taken into account of the cycle. Given that Asian has been categorized as the conservative ones, people here preferred their houses to be left the way it was, therefore who should we blame when compared to the western country, the design and architecture we see here has been left behind. Giving a situation like this, how much optimism the designer has left when it comes to designing at our own land, when the posibilities has been constricted, by the society, the politics, economy and you. Are we ready for this? The society, politics, economy, are we ready for the change? I don't see how people here are still not ready for it when they are educated overseas and how their mentality are not influenced by it. So if in this case we're ready, why there's still no signs of what's coming up.

it took me a lotsa thinking on the way home to come up with the short paragraph up there. do tell me if i'm right or wrong at any place instead of laughing at it in front of the computer screen. yes you.

I'm actually very interested in this topic, I do hope that I have a chance to research more about it. And as for now, I'm off to dinner with my family =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home